language: Deutsch   Français   italiano   Español   Português   日本語   russian   arabic   norwegian   swedish   danish   Nederlands   finland   ireland   English  

IDEM: File a Logo

Header MENU Logo Main Navigation Business & Agriculture Residents Government Education Taxes & Finance Visiting & Playing Family & Health Agency Links Links Main Menu All Categories Business & Agriculture Business Administration, Department of Alcohol Rules & Laws Business Owner's Guide to State Government Economic Development Corporation, Indiana Film Indiana Financial Institutions, Department of Horse Racing Commission IEDC Skills Enhancement Training Labor, Department of Lobby Registration Commission, Indiana Secretary of State's Guide to Starting a Business Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority Personnel, State Department of Procurement Technical Assistance Center Professional Licensing Agency Secretary of State Small Business Development Center, Indiana Worker's Compensation Board of Indiana Agriculture & Environment Agriculture, Indiana State Department of Animal Health, Board of Blue-Green Algae Chemist & Seed Commissioner, Office of Community & Rural Affairs, Indiana Office of Energy Development, Office of Environmental Adjudication, Office of Environmental Management, Department of Grain Buyers & Warehouse Licensing Agency, Indiana Natural Resources Commission Wabash River Heritage Corridor Commission Residents Residential Services Register to Vote Bureau of Motor Vehicles Veteran Affairs, Department of Transparency Portal, Indiana Transportation, Department of Hoosier Lottery Ombudsman Law Enforcement & Government Law Enforcement Academy, Indiana State Excise Police, Indiana State Police Criminal Justice Institute Homeland Security, Department of Corrections, Indiana Department of National Guard, Indiana Jobs & Marketplace Indiana Career Connect Tips for Your Job Search State Jobs Indiana Consumer Unclaimed Property ID Theft Victim Assistance Workforce Development, Department of Government Board & Commissions Accounts, State Board of Civil Rights Commission, Indiana Ethics Commission, Indiana State Alcohol & Tobacco Commission Integrated Public Safety Commission Native American Indian Affairs Commission, Indiana Employees' Appeals Commission, State Utility Consumer Counselor, Office of Hispanic/Latino Affairs, Commission on Improving the Status of Children in Indiana, Commission on Social Status of Black Males, Indiana Commission on Women, Indiana Commission for Utility Regulatory Commission Coroner's Training Board Law Enforcement Training Board, Indiana Courts & Legal Appellate Clerk Court of Appeals Judicial Branch Prosecuting Attorneys Council Supreme Court Tax Court Trial Courts & Clerks General Assembly Officials Attorney General First Lady Governor Inspector General Lieutenant Governor Public Access Counselor Resources & Records Election Division Laws & Administrative Code Legislative Services Agency Archives and Records Administration, Indiana Regulatory Moratorium State Information Center Support Armory Board, State Data & Communication System PEN Products Technology, Office of Toxicology, Indiana State Department of Education Higher Education Colleges & Universities Eligible to Receive State Financial Aid Education Savings Authority Financial Aid Information Higher Education, Commission for I-Light Proprietary Education, Board of K-12 Alternative Learning Programs Charter School Board, Indiana Education, Department of Education, State Board of Education Employment Relations Board Educator Licensing & Development Indiana Regional Works Councils Library, Indiana State School for the Blind, Indiana School for the Deaf, Indiana Taxes & Finance Finance Auditor of State Bond Bank, Indiana Budget Agency, State Depositories, Indiana Board of Finance Authority, Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority, Indiana Local Government Finance, Department of Management & Budget, Office of Public Retirement System, Indiana Regulatory Insurance, Department of Tax Revenue, Department of Tax Review, Board of Visiting & Playing Information Arts Commission, Indiana Bicentennial Commission, Indiana Gaming Commission Historical Bureau, Indiana Insider Blog, Indiana Natural Resources, Department of Tourism Development, Indiana Office of State Fair Commission Stadium Convention Building Authority, Indiana State House Tour Office Locations Casino Locations & Information, Indiana Inns & Campgrounds Museum, Indiana State State Fair, Indiana War Memorials, Indiana White River State Park Commission State Parks Family & Health Family Adoption Child Care Finder Child Services, Department of Disability Rights, Indiana Family & Social Services Administration Governor's Planning Council for People with Disabilities Improving the Status of Children in Indiana, Commission on Serve Indiana Soldiers & Sailors Children's Home Veterans Home, Indiana Health Health, State Department of He ukxgqldy. moncler monaco nylon sneakeralthcare Reform Healthy Indiana Plan (HIP 2.0) Influenza InShape Indiana Long Term Care Partnership Program Tobacco Prevention & Cessation Commission Indiana Department of Environmental Management Sidebar IDEM Side Navigation About Featured Topics News and Events Public Notices Fact Sheets Forms Jobs @ IDEM Contact Information About Air Quality Air Quality in Indiana Air Toxics Program Land Quality Land Quality in Indiana Animal Farms Environmental Cleanups Storage Tanks Waste Tire Program Water Quality Water Quality in Indiana Blue-Green Algae Hoosier Riverwatch Storm Water Permitting Watersheds and Nonpoint Source Water Pollution Wetlands, Lakes and Streams Regulation Legal Counsel Program Support Community Environmental Health CTAP: Compliance and Technical Assistance Program Environmental Education Lake Michigan Programs Partners for Pollution Prevention Pollution Prevention Recycle Indiana Resources Citizens' Guide Find an Environmental Consultant e-Services Media Relations Funding Maps Nonrule Policies Publications Performance Partnership Agreement Quality Management Plan Spatial Data Collection Standards State of the Environment Report Posters and Print Materials Rules Social Links Facebook




Top FAQs I Want To... Find grants & loans information Find public notices Find a job with IDEM Find a phone number for a staffer Know where I can recycle Featured Items First slide details. Current Slide Second slide details. Article Section Breadcrumbs IDEM Contact Current: File a Complaint File a Complaint

The Complaint Coordinator is IDEM’s central point of contact for complaints about polluting activities. IDEM's policy is to take the first action in response to a complaint within 30 days of receiving the complaint, and to address each complaint within 90 days. The agency routinely works with other local, state and federal agencies to address environmental concerns.

How do I file a complaint?

You can file a complaint with IDEM three different ways:

Submit a complaint online Call the Complaint Coordinator at (800) 451-6027 Option 3 Print, complete, and mail a paper-based Complaint Submission Form (now available on the IDEM Forms page) Can I remain anonymous?

Yes. You do not have to provide any personal information (such as name, phone number) when filing a complaint. Providing personal information enables IDEM to contact you for further information and keep you updated on the progress of the complaint investigation. However, any information you submit to IDEM can become public record and subject to public records laws. The best way to file a complaint anonymously is to fill out the online form.

To check on the status of an anonymous complaint, individuals should call the IDEM Complaint Coordinator at (800) 451-6027 Option 3. Individuals who call for information on an investigation may remain anonymous.

What kinds of activities does IDEM have the authority to address?

IDEM has the authority to address complaints about a variety of environmental concerns and to ensure compliance with the air, land and water permits issued by the agency. Inspectors also investigate complaints or concerns about:

Open burning of trash or other materials, Asbestos removal, Fugitive dust, Proper use of outdoor hydronic heaters, Open dumping of trash or other debris, Manure handling and storage by regulated farms, Handling and storage of hazardous wastes, Problems with drinking water systems and wastewater systems, Storm water run-off from construction or industrial activities, and Activities in wetlands. What kinds of activities are not handled by IDEM?

IDEM does not handle indoor air quality complaints (like mold or lead-based paint removal), complaints about residential septic systems, mosquito or other rodent infestations, or conditions of retail food establishments. You should contact your local health department or the Indiana State Department of Health.

IDEM does not regulate or have the authority to address complaints and issues that are associated with storm water quantity, including flooding, drainage, or excessive run-off. These issues are typically addressed through local ordinances and building codes and should be directed to your local municipal or county governmental entity.

IDEM does not regulate the use of pesticides or fertilizers. Contact the Indiana Office of the State Chemist for more information.

IDEM does not regulate workplace safety. Please contact the Indiana Department of Labor to file a complaint.

What Information Should I Provide?

The following information will be helpful to IDEM when you are filing a complaint or notifying the agency of a violation:

Name(s) of suspected violator Detailed description of the activity you observed Location of the activity (such as a physical address, driving directions, or the name of a location, like a stream or creek, the suspected violation took place) Date(s) you observed the activity Is the activity ongoing?

If you choose not to file anonymously, you may also provide your name and contact information.

Online Services Acronyms List Electronic Permitting / Regulatory Services Portal Enforcement Database Impaired Waters (e303d) Online Air Permit Search Online Payment Options Real-Time Monitoring Safe Drinking Water Information Search Virtual File Cabinet Wastewater Certification Renewal More Online Services Subscriber Center Footer Get Help Live Chat with Email Find a Person Find an Agency 1-800-451-6027 Quick Information User Survey Advanced Search Policies Sitemap FAQs State Information Maps & Information News & Events Email Updates - GovDelivery Indiana Code Indiana Administrative Code Settings

Contrast Setting

Default Dark

Text Setting

Normal Large

moncler jackets
moncler jackets replica
moncler baby snowsuit
moncler mens sneakers
Discount Moncler on sale Insurance Complaint Process Other complaint processes and resources: Complaints about workers’ compensation . Complaints about health insurance mediation . Complaints from health care providers about health claim payments . Complaint data resources and indexes . Tips for filing a claim with your insurance company .

( En Español )

The Texas Department of Insurance helps consumers resolve complaints against insurance companies, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), insurance agents, and adjusters. Each year, we help thousands of Texans get millions of dollars in additional claim payments and refunds.

Steps to Filing an Insurance Complaint

Step 1: Find out if we can help with your complaint . Step 2: Learn what to do before filing a complaint . Step 3: Gather information . Step 4: File your complaint .

Privacy of the information you send us .

What to expect after you file a complaint .

Step 1: Find out if we can help with your complaint.

We can help with complaints against the insurance companies and people we regulate. We can't help with complaints about service providers, including body shops, building contractors, and doctors. If you have a complaint against a service provider, send it to the licensing or enforcement agency that regulates the provider.

We can help with these types of complaints: late or slow payment of claims; policy cancellations and nonrenewals; improper claim denials; health care treatment or service denials; poor customer service; misrepresentation about what a policy covers; discriminatory rate increases; false or misleading advertising; and suspected insurance fraud. We can help you with a health insurance complaint if your health plan ID card has “TDI” or “DOI” on it.

We aren’t able to: find out who is at fault in an accident; settle a dispute with your insurance company when the only evidence is your word; or give legal advice or make medical judgments. If your health plan ID card doesn’t have “TDI” or “DOI” on it, it means your health plan is self-funded. We aren’t able to help with complaints against self-funded health insurance. Learn how to file a complaint with a self-funded health plan .

Call with questions

Call our Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439 (from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time). We can talk through the issue and find out if we can help with your complaint.

Step 2: Learn what to do before filing a complaint with us.

There might be other steps you should take before filing a complaint with us.

Call your insurance company

Most insurance companies have a toll-free customer help line. The phone number is printed on your policy. You can also call  our Consumer Help Line to get the company’s number and address. 

When you call your insurance company:

have your policy number ready. If you’ve already filed a claim, have your claim number too. follow up in writing. Describe your complaint and how you want the company to resolve it. send copies (not originals) of letters, notes, invoices, canceled checks, advertising materials, or other documents that support your complaint. ask the company to send you a written response. Issues with your auto or homeowners insurance

Most auto and homeowners policies have what is called an “appraisal process.” This process is used for resolving disputes about the amount of damages your company will pay. Ask your company if your policy has an appraisal process. You also have the right to appeal the company’s decision or to take the matter to court.

Issues with your health insurance

Most plans have a process for you to appeal if a claim is denied. If you appealed with your health plan and you're still not satisfied, you may be able to have an independent review organization (IRO) review the denial. TDI certifies IROs. If you get an IRO review, the insurance company or HMO must pay for the review and follow the IRO's decision.

Step 3: Gather information. We will need the following information to look into your complaint: your name, address, and daytime phone number; the exact name of the insurance company; the name of the agents or adjusters involved; your policy number; your claim number and the date of your loss; a copy of both sides of your insurance card, if appropriate; a description of your problem; what you believe would be a fair resolution of your complaint; and copies of all supporting documents, including invoices, canceled checks, advertising materials, and any letters between you and the company or agent.

Learn more about the privacy of the information you send to us .

Step 4: File your complaint. There are two ways to file your complaint: Online form File your complaint online using our Online Complaint Portal . PDF form Print the form or save it to your computer to complete it. If you save it to your computer, fill out the version you save. You can sign the form by typing your name in the signature fields. English: Complaint and Authorization Form (PDF)  Authorization Form (PDF) En Español: Formulario de Queja y Autorización (PDF)  Autorización (PDF) Send the paper form back to us one of these ways: Email: ConsumerProtection@tdi. Mail: Texas Department of Insurance, Consumer Protection, MC 111-1A, P.O. Box 149091, Austin, Texas 78714-9091 In person: Texas Department of Insurance, Consumer Protection (111-1A), 333 Guadalupe St., Austin, Texas 78701 Fax: 512-490-1007 Have a question or need help filing a complaint?

Call our Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439 . 

Sending documents to support your case

If you use the online form to file your complaint, you can upload your supporting documents or photos through the Online Complaint Portal .

If you use the paper form, you can send supporting documents with the form.

We can accept PDFs, Word, and Excel documents. We also can accept photos in JPG format.

We can’t accept links to online documents, pictures and videos.

Privacy of the Information You Send Us

To help resolve your complaint, we need to share the information you send us with the person or company named in your complaint. You’ll have to sign a consent form allowing us to share the information. If you don’t sign the consent form, we might not be able to help you.

Also, be aware that some of the information you give us can be given to anyone who requests it under the Texas Public Information Act. We will not give information that is confidential. Medical records, financial information, and email addresses are generally confidential under state and federal law and will not be released.

What to Expect after You File a Complaint

After you file your complaint with us, we’ll contact the company or agent your complaint is against and try to help resolve the dispute.

When we work on your complaint, we will: Send you a letter letting you know we’re working on your complaint. Tell the company about your complaint and ask for a detailed response. Send you a letter with the company's response and an explanation of the outcome. This usually will happen within 60 days after we get your complaint. Decide if the company handled your issue within the terms of the policy or certificate of coverage. Decide if the company, agent, or adjuster broke state insurance laws. If a law was broken, we’ll take enforcement action. Deadlines for payment of a claim:

Texas law requires insurance companies to pay claims within a certain time frame. Most licensed insurance companies must:

Begin investigating your claim within 15 days after getting it. Accept or reject your claim in writing within 15 business days after getting all needed information. This deadline may be extended another 15 days after a declared disaster. If the company needs more time, it must tell you why it needs more time. It will then have up to 45 more days to accept or reject your claim. Tell you in writing why it denied your claim. Pay you within five business days after telling you it will pay your claim.

The laws about paying a claim within a certain time frame don't apply to liability claims against another person’s insurance company. For example, if you’re in a wreck caused by another driver and your claim is against the other driver’s insurance company. These laws also don’t apply to claims involving:

Self-funded health plans (you have a self-funded health plan if your insurance card doesn’t have “TDI” or “DOI” on it). Learn how to file a complaint with a self-funded health plan . Workers’ compensation insurance. Learn how to file a complaint about workers’ compensation . Mortgage guaranty or title insurance. Fidelity, surety, or guaranty bonds. Marine insurance (other than inland marine). If you’re not satisfied with the outcome:

If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may discuss your concerns with an attorney.

If your complaint involves an auto or homeowners insurance policy, you may ask for alternative dispute resolution (ADR). ADR uses mediation with a neutral third party to settle disputes outside of court.

If you need help finding an attorney, visit the   State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral and Information Service website or call 1-800-252-9690 .

For more information, contact:

Last updated: 05/31/2017

Skip navigation

Main Menu Search Utility menu Contact Stay Connected Privacy Policy FTC en español Main Menu About the FTC What We Do Enforcement Authority Our History FTC Moments FTC@100 Fireside Chat Our Seal Centennial Dinner & Symposium Presidential Visit Commissioners Maureen K. Ohlhausen Terrell McSweeny Bureaus & Offices Bureau of Competition Bureau of Consumer Protection Bureau of Economics Office of Congressional Relations Office of Equal Employment and Workplace Inclusion Office of International Affairs Office of the Executive Director Office of the General Counsel Office of Policy Planning Regional Offices Office of Administrative Law Judges Office of Public Affairs Office of the Secretary Biographies Bureau and Office Directors Inspector General Former Commissioners Former Bureau and Office Directors Budgets Financial Documents Other Financial Information Performance Office of Inspector General FTC Imposter Scams What You Need to Know About the Office of the Inspector General The Inspector General Reporting Fraud, Waste, Abuse or Mismanagement Whistleblower Protection OIG Audits and Evaluations OIG Investigations OIG Reading Room Notice Concerning Nondisclosure Policies, Forms, or Agreements Contact the OIG FOIA Frequently Requested Records About the Privacy Act FOIA Reading Rooms FOIA Request Fee Regulations Freedom of Information Act Contacts Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Links Table of Contents Exemptions Careers at the FTC Work at the FTC Life at the FTC Benefits at the FTC Diversity at the FTC Apply to the FTC Testimonials News & Events Press Releases Commission Actions Media Resources Consumer Finance Mergers and Competition Mobile Technology The Do Not Call Registry Tools for Consumers Truth In Advertising Protecting Consumer Privacy Identity Theft and Data Security Military Consumer Protection Events Calendar All Events Weekly Calendar Weekly Calendar Archive Speeches Audio/Video Featured Videos FTC Events For Consumers For Business En Español Social Media FTC Twitter Chats General Social Media Chats Tweeting FTC Events Blogs Competition Matters Tech@FTC Comment Policy Contests IoT Home Inspector Challenge Robocalls: Humanity Strikes Back DetectaRobo Zapping Rachel Enforcement Cases and Proceedings Case Document Search Refunds Commission Decision Volumes Letters and Statements Petitions to Quash Banned Mortgage Relief and Debt Relief Companies and People Adjudicative Proceedings Banned Debt Collectors Premerger Notification Program Statute, Rules and Formal Interpretations Form and Instructions Informal Interpretations Early Termination Notices Current Thresholds Filing Fee Information Post-Consummation Filings (HSR Violations) Medicare Act Filings HSR Resources Contact Information First Time Filer? Merger Review Anticompetitive Practices Rules eCFR Rules and Guides Retrospective Review of FTC Rules and Guides Statutes Consumer Sentinel Network Members Reports Newsletters Data Contributors Criminal Liaison Unit Results CLU Awards Contact CLU Policy Advocacy Amicus Briefs Advocacy Filings Other Applications, Petitions, and Requests Merits Briefs Economic Liberty Advisory Opinions Cooperation Agreements Federal Register Notices Reports Policy Reports US Submissions to OECD and Other International Competition Fora Litigation Status Report Magnuson-Moss Warranty Public Audit Filings Rotational Health Warnings Webb-Pomerene Act Filings Studies Remedy Study Testimony Public Comments Advanced Comment Search Policy Statements International International Competition International Consumer Protection International Technical Assistance Program International Cooperation Agreements Competition & Consumer Protection Authorities Worldwide International Fellows Program FTC International Monthly Tips & Advice For Consumers For Military Consumers Business Center Advertising & Marketing Credit & Finance Guidance Privacy & Security Protecting Small Businesses Selected Industries Legal Resources Business Blog Competition Guidance BC Production Guide I Would Like To... Submit a Consumer Complaint to the FTC Apply for a Refund in an FTC Case Report Identity Theft List a Number on the National Do Not Call Registry Get a Free Copy of My Credit Report File a Comment Open for Comment Report An Antitrust Violation File Documents in Adjudicative Proceedings Take Action File a Consumer Complaint Report Identity Theft Get Your Free Credit Report Register for Do Not Call Get Scam Alerts

VW / Audi Settlement: Check to see if you are eligible for compensation 2.0L or 3.0L

FTC Regulatory Reforms From TVs and textiles to energy labels and email FTC Opposes Fantasy Sports Deal Seeks to block DraftKings FanDuel merger FTC's New Small Business Website Helping owners avoid scams and protect data Economic Liberty Opening doors to opportunity

VW / Audi Settlement: Check to see if you are eligible for compensation 2.0L or 3.0L

Latest News FTC, NHTSA Workshop to Focus on Privacy, Security Issues Related to Connected Cars Jun 27, 2017 FTC Requires Retail Fuel Station and Convenience Store Operator Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. to Divest up to 71 Fuel Stations as a Condition of Merger with Competitor CST Brands, Inc. Jun 26, 2017 Defendants Involved in Selling Business Coaching Programs Settle FTC Charges Jun 26, 2017 FTC Returns Money to Victims of Timeshare Resale Scam Jun 23, 2017 More News Blog Posts Consumer Blog

Ransomware re-do? Back up your files.

June 27, 2017 Competition Matters

Economic Opportunity Across State Lines: Enhancing Occupational License Portability

June 20, 2017 Business Blog

FTC blows the whistle on business coaching program

June 26, 2017 Tech@FTC

Your research can help the FTC protect consumers

January 17, 2017 More Blog Posts Competition More File an Antitrust Complaint See Early Termination Notices Submit a Public Comment Upcoming Events Jun 28 Connected Cars: Privacy, Security Issues Related to Connected, Automated Vehicles

10:00AM–5:00PM Constitution Center Washington DC Jul 19 Military Consumer Workshop

8:30AM–5:00PM Trinity University San Antonio TX Jul 27 Streamlining Licensing Across State Lines: Initiatives to Enhance Occupational License Portability

2:00PM–4:00PM Constitution Center Washington DC More Events Featured Video Defend Against Ransomware

More Videos Utility menu Contact Stay Connected Privacy Policy FTC en español